Monday, January 18, 2010

Confronting the monster

The spring semester of my first year back in college is upon me, and , I’m F R E A K I N G O U T. While I did get pretty decent grades last semester, my cumulative g.p.a is still a low 1.8, because my grades from 10 years ago still count. 1.8 is not good enough for the admissions gods, so I’m on Academic Probation. Fun times. That means that I’m going to have to get pretty much all A’s in order to bump it up to get off of probation. In addition to my journalism classes*, I’m taking math and science, and the syllabus for those two classes are INTENSE. I’m gonna have to put in some W O R K, and I’m not gonna lie, I’m lazy. I got good grades last semester, but I got really lucky, because I procrastinated a lot .

A few things will help me make it through this semester:

1. I’m competitive: In one of my journalism classes, there is a girl who I’m not too fond of. We’ll call her….Linda. Linda is a pretty good writer, but has this, “I’m SO awesome, and you’re SO …not attitude” that it makes me roll my eyes. She also made a comment about older students being in community college early on last semester that took all of my home training to not slap her. Am I a hater? Maybe. Having her in my class will make me want to do everything I can to be a better writer.

2. Getting Organized: I have all the tips to getting organized, but implementing them is going to be trouble. Like we all know, I’m lazy. I can think of several things that I could be doing instead of what I’m supposed to be doing. The procrastination monster is one I’m gonna have to confront this year, and believe me, she is a tough cookie. Even as I type this she’s all, “Bring it, bitch! You ain’t ready” (yes, she’s a little ghetto). As you can tell, I’m uber-excited.


All in all, it’s gonna be an adventure, and I do love a good adventure. Last semester was a practice round. There are so many things I want to do in college, and graduating with honors is one of them. It’s time to put up or shut up.

* A bonus! The really yummy guy from my news writing class last semester(we’ll call him NY) is gonna be in one my classes this time around! Score!*

No comments:

Post a Comment