Monday, April 19, 2010

In Remberance

Today marks the 15th anniversary of the bombing in Oklahoma City. Until September 11th, it was the worst attack on U.S. soil.

I was 14, and in 9th grade at Longfellow Junior High in Enid, Oklahoma. I was late for english class, because I was busy talking to a guy that I had a crush on at the time. My teacher was giving me crap about being late when one of the assistant principals came in and told us the news. I remember being in shock, and wondering how something like this could happen here, in Oklahoma, where it seemed like the only thing that happened were tornadoes.

I went home and sat with my mom and little brother watching the news, and saw the damage, and I was scared. I think it was the first time that I remember being truly aware of death. It scared me .

Today MSNBC is airing The McVeigh Tapes, a series of tapes recorded by Timothy McVeigh before his execution. In it, he talks about the bombing, and his feelings behind what happened. I'll probably watch it, because I've always had a strange curiosity about him. I just can't understand how one person filled with hate can cause so much damage. What happened to him in his life that caused him to do such a thing?

Some of the victims have expressed concerns about the show, saying that it's not going to solve anything. I worry that the state of craziness going on in the country(ie Teabaggers, that woman who was a Vice President nominee), listening to the hate that McVeigh had is going to further incite the stupidity that is going on. I hope it won't, and will show people what hate can do.

In the meantime, I'm going to pray for all the survivors, the ones who died, and everyone who has had their life affected by this tragedy. If you're reading this, tell the people you love how you feel about them today. Life is short. If you're reading this, then you mean something to me, and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment