Thursday, April 1, 2010

The joy of childhood

Despite all the crap that happened, I had a really good childhood. I grew up in California, in a town called San Bernardino. My mom and I lived in an apartment complex across the street from my elementary school. My grandma lived a few miles away, and I spent the weekends there when my mom had to work. My two best friends were Josie and Cynthia. We did everything together. There was a huge grassy area in the middle of the complex, and that was our playground. We played lots of pretend games, ran around like crazy, and played more Barbie’s than any girl should be allowed to play.

Summertime was the best time. I would wake up early (that doesn’t happen now!), eat a bowl of cereal, and run outside to play. I’d spend all day outside, only going inside to eat, if my mom could get me to come inside. We rode bikes, roller-skated, and played on the slip and slide until we were wrinkled. The best time of day was at sunset, when the adults would venture out, and somebody would turn on a radio. We’d all be dancing and singing as the sun went down. Or someone would grill out, and we all stuffed ourselves full of hamburgers and hotdogs. We’d stay out sometimes until nearly midnight; us kids playing freeze tag and hide and seek, and the adults laughing and talking about grownup things. During the summer, someone would spend the night at my house, or I’d be at someone else’s. We’d play games and talk until a parent told us to go to bed, and then we’d wake up and do it all over again.

It was some of the best times of my life. You’ll be hearing more about my childhood. There were some crazy times, and I want to get back to the joy that I had then.

No comments:

Post a Comment